"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Big Day

To say we were excited for May 21 is an understatement.  I got home from running with Kim and Elise and Oley couldn't stop talking.  He must have forgotten that I was getting up at 3:30 to make it to the hospital by 5 for Allison to be induced.  By being in the delivery room with Allison my appreciation for her grew exponentially.  I remember standing there thinking, there is a an actual human being inside of her right now, the pain and misery she is going through will produce the greatest blessing I have ever received and I will be a mom, there is nothing I can give back to Allison besides my best effort at raising our daughter.  It was at that moment I knew that this baby really was to be in our family and I will need to do everything in my power to raise little Adelé in a manner that Allison will always be proud of her decision and provide the means for Adelé to always have a relationship with Allison and her Heavenly Father. 
I had been preparing for this day since January when Allison had asked if I wanted to be in the the delivery room with her.  I am horrible when it comes to blood, or anything of that nature, so  I was worried I would pass out! After talking with my mom (a nurse) she was confident I would be fine because it isn't "that bad", but she did give me the advice, "just stand by Allison's head and you won't have to see anything."  So that was the advice I would go off of, stand by Allison's head and all would be well.  Well we will just say, that's not what happened.  Allison was kind enough to allow for me to be the first to hold Adelé and so the nurses and doctor gladly let me sit right next to the doctor as he delivered her.  I don't know what it was, maybe it was becuase Allison is an All-Star, but it happened so quickly I didn't even have time to pass out.  Allison seriously made labor look seamless (I am confident from the pain in her face it was not though) - Adelé was born at 5:48 PM weighing in at 7lbs 13oz. and 21 inches.
What an incredible experience that was to be in the delivery room and see our little baby take her first breaths of life.  When they handed me the scissors to cut the umbilical cord it was as if the doctor was handing her life over to me now.  Allison had done a tremendous job of providing for her to this point, but it now was my turn to provide the necessities of life. 

Kim truly amazes me, she knitted this hat and matching mittens and booties all while in the delivery room that day.
Once Allison was cleaned up Oley came into the room and the emotions ran high.  As Allison held Adelé for the first time we watched in awe knowing how much love she had for her.  We were overcome with emotion knowing how much of a sacrifice she was making for us and how truly blessed we really felt.  There was not a dry eye in the room as Allison had her moment with Adelé.  We truly love Allison and everything she has done for us!





We couldn't have asked for a more perfect family to share this special bond with.  Allison had her family there with her and to know that Adelé will be loved and supported by not only our immediate family but by Allison and hers brought a great sense of comfort to us.  Adelé seriously is perfect!  As I fed her for the first time all I could think was how grateful I am that we were tried for so long to be blessed with such a miracle!
Oley helped the nurse give the first bath, he is going to be an incredible dad! 

We couldn't be any happier!  Adelé is seriously perfect, Allison is amazing, and her family is great!  We are definitely the luckiest couple who have been blessed by such an amazing woman and family.  I look at them and hope that I can impact others lives as deeply and selflessly as they have impacted ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...