"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Monday, May 6, 2013

Dinky's Autoimmune Disease

So recall how I said Dinky's paw was really bothering him at the beach.  Well we took the little guy in and the vet we saw said he just had a bacterial infection and gave us some antibiotic and stuff to clean the paw with. 
I wrapped it so he wouldn't chew at it.  HAHA!  Oley didn't think it was going to be a good idea.

Well his paw healed but a couple weeks later we noticed that the "cold sore" looking thing on his face was getting worse.  I thought it was just from him licking at his paw and maybe the infection had spread.  But thank goodness for the nationally known vet we have living in our ward that as soon as she saw this picture of his lips told me to bring him in because it looked like autoimmune disease.  He doesn't have a severe case, just one in which his skin cells are attacking one another and pulling apart, so she is confident she can treat it. 
Much like you probably just were I was confused and worried we would have to put him on pills the rest of his life.  But come to find out if you mix an antibiotic with a vitamin it resets their immune systems and they usually don't have a problem again with it.  Since I know we will be adding a new baby to our family soon I made sure that this wasn't contagious to humans or other dogs.  It isn't so we went and got the medicine and now have to give him it twice a day for 60 days.  I would complain, but I really can't.  We really have been blessed by living in this area and having the relationships with the people that we do.  As for Dinky he is starting to look better, I am sure it will all work out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...