"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Perspective

As I got in the car this morning I looked in the rear view mirror and thought "wow that fog is really thick on my back window, maybe I should clean it off."  Then I quickly realized "oh yes, Oley ran to the post office in my car last night so all the mirrors were set for him, and that really isn't the back window, that's the ceiling of my car."  I adjusted the mirror as I backed out of the drive way, and was onto other thoughts.  As I went to look in my side view mirror, once again I had forgotten that Oley had driven my car and couldn't figure out why I was staring at the sky and nothing else.  I quickly figured it out and away I went. 
I drove on a little further and realized there is a lesson I need to learn here, even though Oley and I are sitting in the same car, in the exact same seat, looking into the exact same mirrors we are seeing things in a totally different perspective.  I realized I really need to appreciate the perspective Oley brings into my life, because it is so much different than mine.  Heavenly Father gave each of us our individual worth to lighten the load of others and bring perspective they may not have seen. 
I drove along in the thick morning fog and let that settle a little bit more. A much deeper thought then surfaced.  I realized I really couldn't see more than 20 yards in front of me.  I could make out that there were signs on the side of the road, but I was unable to read them until I got within about 20 ft or so.  Some were even blinking and those were easier to to see through the fog, but I still couldn't read them.  There then were some patchy areas, I would be able to see at least 50 to 75 yards, and then I would get back into the thick areas losing that distant vision.
I realized this is a lot like our life here on earth.  The perspective that we have may be a little foggy, but we have to have the faith that we are going in the right direction.  Sometimes we get to points in our lives where we are feeling pretty good and we are able to see for more than 75 yards, but a lot of the time we are traveling on a path in which we are uncertain what the Lord has in store for us, and when we are given trials He sets the signs and lights out for us, we just have to have the faith to follow them.  And isn't it coincidental that we meet certain people at just the most convenient time for them to be apart of our lives?  The Lord has a plan for us, and even though our perspective on that plan may be much different than His, we must have the faith, and be receptive of the perspective of others as we journey on this earth together.
This was exactly what I needed to have this morning.  Since we learned that things were not going to work with the adoption we have kind of just been floating. Trying to figure out why everything worked out so perfectly, and then was all taken away in one short text message, "I am going to keep her".  I have been only viewing it from my perspective and haven't looked at it in through the Lord's light.  He uses these experiences to help build us so that we are able to be the instrument He needs in order to accomplish the work we were sent here to do.  I am so glad my parents raised me strong in the gospel, so that as I have these experiences I can stay strong to the principles that will bring me closer to peace and answers and I know He will always be there to carry us through the hard times.
As I got onto LDS.org to plan my lesson I clicked on this and it went perfectly with the insights I had been given today. 
It also reminded me of one of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite artists Hilary Weeks.  Love this song!
 


2 comments:

  1. Holly, you put that just the way it needs to be said about life. It inspired me!!! I didn't know it wasn't going to work out with the baby, so sorry. We will be praying for you to find another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly! You never know when what you say is exactly what others need to hear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...