"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Sunday, September 16, 2012

I love to see the Temple!

The past week was a crazy one with late work meetings, Oley's new route, and just trying to stay caught up it was so relaxing to be able to do sealings with our ward on Saturday at the temple.
As I drive to work every morning I have noticed a very interesting parallel and that is when I drive out of our neighborhood in the mornings, which is a middle class neighborhood, the bus stop is at the corner that I drive past.  It's interesting becuase at this bus stop it seems as though the parent to child ratio is 1 to 1 maybe even 1.5 parents to 1 child.  But as I drive a little farther down the road there is a lower class neighborhood and the parent to child ratio there is on average 1 parent to 4 children.  Which to me is very interesting in the involvement these parents have in their children's lives.  As Oley and I talked about it a little more he did bring up a good point that maybe a lot of these parents are working so they can't be there, but really who gets the child ready for school than?!?  I don't know what the impact this has on the child's learning, development, or relationship with their parent is but I would suspect there is an impact. I hope that we can be the type of parents that are able to be involved and make sure our children know we are committed and have a high level of involvement.  We both came from parents who did their very best at being involved in our lives so we hope to be able to pass that on to our children.  Kind of random, I know. 
Friday I got to go do Habitat for Humanity.  I was so excited to be able to do this, I have seen advertising for it and I was ready to build a house.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to build the house, but I did learn a new skill and that is how to tile a floor, and put the grout in it.  What an awesome program habitat for humanity is, not only for the families it is helping but they also let you go and learn new skills.  For example, if you want to learn how to put radiant heating in your home they can teach you how to do it, and then you are well prepared to do it yourself. . . Awesome right!  
Saturday morning we did the usual, breakfast, walk the dogs, and then got started on some of the projects we had outlined for the day.  Our Mr. Fix It Oley put together our new bookshelf.  I am so excited to finally have it done, now we can get the rest of the office put together and then the craft room.
Although we still have a very long list of projects that need done, one at a time and we will eventually get them all done.  I was  hoping to get a little more done but what can ya do, right. 
We then went to the temple and what a great opportunity that was.  This is the first time we have been since we learned of what would become of Callie, so to be able to do sealings was a great blessing for us.  We are so grateful to be able to have one another and even though this baby didn't work out we know that the right one will come along.  The temple is the greatest blessing that the Lord could provide for us here on this earth and we are grateful for the blessings we continually get from attending regularly. 
I was super excited to get to go becuase I remembered to bring my camera with us.  We were able to get a lot of pictures and I am so excited to fix them up a bit to add to my blog, but here are some of the raw images. 












        We love the temple.  We spoke on Love at Home last week in church, we strive to  have a celestial home where love is abounding and the spirit can reside.  One of my favorite quotes that I used within my talk was by President McKay,  “A true Mormon home is one in which if Christ should chance to enter, He would be pleased to linger and to rest.”
·         I than finished this thought with "Would your home be a welcoming place for Christ if He knocked on your door today?  Would Christ feel comfortable sitting at our dinner table engaging in our conversation, or do we sometimes become impatient with one another speak in harsher tones?  Would we have to pretend like we gathered around for family prayer and scripture study because He was there or would this be a habitual thing that our children and families knew we did on a daily basis?  In Josh 24:15 – "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord".  How dedicated are we to serving the Lord, is it a once a week for three hours commitment, or do we sincerely try to make our homes a place where the spirit can abide?  Do we ask for His constant companionship within our home and engage in activities that would allow for Him to join?  
      Just a little food for thought!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...