"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Girls Camp

As Oley did, I also got an opportunity to spend a week in the wilderness with the youth from the church.  When they asked me to go to girls camp at the beginning of the year I thought it would be a blast.  As I learned more and more about how things are done in Washington it is so different than when I was growing up.  Girls Camp was very structured - a lot of spiritual classes, certification, and very little free time.  I was hesitant to be going but since I said that I would go I went and I am sure glad that I did. 
The cabin mom I was paired with was also a first timer.  This was highly unusual since all of the others had at least 1 year experience.  We were over the 4th years.  From the first day I knew that this week may not be so bad.  The 4th years are asked to do a lot for certification, they had to build huts and sleep outside one night, they were put in the long houses with no doors, and they had to do a lot of their own cooking.  This being said Mindy (My cabin mom partner) and I were up for a challenge. 
The week went really well.  We had A LOT of laughs! There was so much structure that Mindy and I were probably worse than the girls about staying on top of things, but it made for a great experience for our young women as well.  I am so glad that I was able to be totally disconnected from work for a week and just focused on my spirituality and being built by the youth of the church.
Oley periodically reminded me of how incredibly difficult it is to be a single parent for a week and let me talk to my little babe.  I missed them terribly. 

What a great experience.  I think I may do it again next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...