"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What's the Purpose?

You know those days that from the moment that the alarm clock goes off you are just rush rush rush - what shirt am I going to wear, no these pants aren't going to work, why won't my hair just do what I want it to, am I really already 4 minutes late, shoot it's already 3 o' clock where did the entire morning go, did I even eat lunch today, did I get all the must do's done, how am I going to do it all again tomorrow?  For some reason I seem to thrive on chaos and stress and so find it necessary to live everyday like this, or so it has seemed recently. So unfortunately by the end of the day I usually end up like this.
But seriously though?  What's the purpose of all of this Chaos.  Does it make me a better person becuase I am involved in 500 billion different things, does it make me feel better about myself becuase I work out twice a day and leave no time for just relaxing, does it really show how awesome I really am when I am running around like I have lost my mind?  Well no, probably not.  But it reminds me of the general conference talk a few sessions back which focused on What Matters Most?  Does it matter that I try my best to be a great wife when I am gone 70% of the time doing other things.  Well maybe, but probably not. 
This past week in Young Women's we were having a lesson on the plan of salvation and the instructor wrote on the board, "What's the Purpose of LIFE?" Obviously, this could have been the standard plan of salvation lesson, but I love how the new youth curriculum is outlined and how the spirit is able to take the discussion and touch everyone's life. 
The instructor straight up asked the girls "tell me something good that happened this week?"  As she went around the circle and the girls each had a hard time trying to figure out one good thing that happened to them in the past week, she caught me off guard when she asked "Sister Burke how about you?"  Honestly, I was trying to figure out what went bad in my week.  I truly couldn't think of a single bad thing that happened. So after church I thought a little bit longer and realized yes I had a horrible event happen.  I have been training for a half marathon, while on a morning run I was feeling pretty good that I hadn't sprained either of my ankles yet this season.  Not more than 2 minutes later I stepped on a rock and tweaked my ankle.  I thought for sure that was going to be the end of my running, but I remember pleading with Heavenly Father that everything would be okay if I just kept running it would turn out fine.  I have since realized I had turned almost all of my "troubles", as insignificant as some may have seemed, over to the Lord the past week, so I really couldn't find anything that was terrible about my week.  But really though, how often do we focus so much on all the negative we forget the tender mercies of the Lord?
Along those same lines we talked about so what is the purpose? Obviously we are here to be tried and tested, but do we take life for granted?  I candidly will say I definitely do.  I asked the girls what they would do if they found out that they had a month to live. Naturally, all their answers were I would want to be with my family.  I changed the question and asked what if you were told in a month you would lose both your arms, the first things many of them said were "I couldn't text" "How would I hold the TV remote".  Selfishly I had some thoughts along these lines as well, but seriously what would you do?  Would you hug your loved ones a little longer, would you spend time serving those around you a little bit more - or would you make sure you got all the texting done you could dream of?
So what's the purpose?  Why do I feel like I need to cram my life so full, do I really feel fulfilled doing that?  Why if I am not totally and completely exhausted from the worries of the world do I not feel like I have accomplished anything that day?  These are all the ways that the adversary gets to us.  I have been fortunate enough to have a calling that requires I strengthen my relationship with my Savior through daily prayer and scripture study, but I can easily see how these things could fall through the cracks.  So I guess I owe it to myself and Oley to take a good long look at our hectic lives and really ask the question, What Matters Most?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...