"Doubt Not But Be Believing"

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Burke

When Oley and I first got married I had planned to take the spot offered me on the ISU women's soccer team.  Since we were just newlywed I let Oley know that I would be using my maiden name while playing soccer, had I realized how big of a deal this was going to be I may not have even brought it up.  It led to a looonng discussion of "but I have built the name Holly Egan as a soccer player I can't just go and change my name at the peak of my career?"  "But you just married me and took my name so you will use my name."  The conversation went a little something like that.  Well as you all know, through a lot of personal prayer and searching it was decided a temple marriage was more important than a couple more years of college soccer.  So the "discussion" ended there. 
Well now that I live in the Seattle area and sponsors pay to have you wear their uniforms when playing in recreation leagues, I had to battle this same decision Egan vs. Burke.  Since I am so far removed from my home town and no one really would know Holly Egan (except those few that I played the first two years of college ball with) I made the bold new choice and went with Burke. 
Kind of sad, but boy does it make Oley proud! Can't wait for our little Burke's to be running around building a name for themselves!  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...